Thursday, April 5, 2012

Complain complain complain...

Every April, I get in the mood to change everything. Its like im pregnant and im nesting... but im not. Re-decorate, re-model, re-organize, re-locate. This week I have been wanting to move. Not far away.. but to a different apartment. One with more space. One that has a back yard. One that, no matter how much you clean the bathroom, it reaks like pee... because theres obviousely something down in the shower drain. One that has an extra room for my crafts. One that doesnt smell like old people. Complain complain complain...

I cant figure out what it is. Is it renting? Is it feeling like nothing is really ours? Is it the annoyances of this place that we cant fix because we dont own it? I think so... i mean... imagine this... the doors to our laundry area are the kind you slide so when one side is open, the other side is closed... Can you imagine trying to do a load of laundry when you dont have access to both the washer and dryer at the same time? Its VERY annoying, possibly the most annoying thing about this place. Do I talk to the owner? Do they realize that its completely rediculous to have that kind of door on the laundry area? Theyve obviousely never lived here. UGH!

So when I have a day like yesterday, when I spend hours on craigslist and rent.com searching for a new place to live. Then a day like today when I wake up and decide theres alot that I CAN do to make this place more livable... it makes me think.

I could paint!! Yes I could! I can find online tutorials on how to build your own storage! I can make curtains and throw pillows that make it feel more homey! I could do lots of things... things that are in my control.

Another thing that I have control of is my attitude about it all. I could be happy we have a place to live, and that Ryan has a great job that provides for our needs and wants. I could be happy that we really have a good price on this apartment, which allows us to pay off our cars faster as well as save each month. I could be happy that we even HAVE a washer/dryer in our apartment... because really, i AM happy about that!

I could think of all the things that I love about this apartment.. like the big dual-entry kitchen, the open floorplan, the many windows that make it light and airy, the vaulted ceiling. A bedroom big enough that my crafty junk really does fit in our bedroom.

I complain and complain about things... then I hear of people losing their job, and their home. People who have to worry about where their next meal is coming from. People who cant buy warm clothes for their children. People who dont have the basic needs of life..... and I suddenly feel so grateful for the things that I have. So I have decided that I am going to work on my attitude and not be such a pessimist about what I do and dont have. Because I really am SO blessed.. both with the things AND people that I have in my life. So when im being negative... just do me a favor and slap me!!!

Love, ME

1 comment:

Tammy Anderson said...

Good post! We all have those days! Attitude is everything! When you can't change your suroundings change your attitude!

blog background