Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pinterest

Is ADDICTING! I find myself on Pinterest at least a few days a week. Sometimes only for a few minutes. Sometimes for quite a lot of minutes. It is too accessible. An app on my phone? Yes please! With a few clicks I can plan my dream home that I will never have, create a wardrobe/new look that I cant afford to buy or even fit into yet, pin countless crafts recipies that I hope to make but dont. In the end it ends up being a big waste of time.

Facebook too. Again, an app on my phone. I really should delete it. I cant count the times I go to my phone to make an important phone call, or add something important to my calendar. I open up my phone and on my home screen is my facebook app. I immediately forget what I came to my phone to do. I check my facebook, and waste countless minutes there.

The latest is Instagram. Though it serves a much more important purpose than Facebook or Pinterest, I find that I spend too much time on it. Looking at what others post, "checking in" when my phone alerts me that someone "liked" or "commented" on my photo. Maybe its just my obsessive personality?

Is it just me, or is the world making it easier and easier to be lazy, and spend our time on non-productive things? Its as if those things that were created as time-fillers/wasters have become time-dominators.. taking place of those things that are priorities. Im charged as GUILTY. But I have realized that these things arent bad. ALL things in moderation right? I just need to not be obsessive and distracted, and I can enjoy the things that I love for the right reasons.

I love Pinterest. Its fun. I have found MANY recipies on there that have become family favorites. MANY tips and tricks that have and will continue to save us money, or teach me how to re-use things that I would otherwise throw in the trash. Lots of decorating ideas on a very small budget. Thanks to Pinterest, I have read many blog entries on how to be a better wife and mother; listing things that are obvious, yet I had never thought of.

I love Facebook. If not for Facebook, I would have NO contact with many of my GREAT friends from my childhood/highschool/college. I get to hear what theyre up to, comment back and forth, and see pictures of their beautiful children. I live far from my family, and I love that Facebook keeps us connected, where otherwise there would be very little contact with may of them.

I love Instagram. It is a FANTASTIC way to share photos of everything I am doing with my cute little girl. And I love it! Many of my friends who are anti-facebook use Instagram, and its my way to keep contact with those otherwise long-lost friends.

Im realizing that I CAN use these things. I just need to limit my time on them. Maybe deleting the app on my phone would be a terriffic idea. What do you guys think? Does anyone else struggle with this???


1 comment:

Megan said...

I only use Pinterest and Facebook. I find them to be kinda relaxing when I need to have a minute for myself. I don't watch TV much these days, so I unwind on the computer. Or by sewing ...... But yes, we need to be very careful! Too much of a good thing isn't such a good thing anymore, is it??

blog background